Monday, December 24, 2007

A Few of My Favorite Christmas Things…

No money talk on Christmas Eve day---it just seems a bit too crass! It took me a long time to really get into Christmas. I grew up in a Jewish (although not religious) family and although my mother absolutely adores Christmas trees and knows more words to carols than most gentile folks, we pretty much did the “Jewish thing” around Christmas. We did not go near the maddening crowds in the stores and on the day itself, we headed to the movies, followed by a feast at the local Chinese restaurant.

But when I moved to Rhode Island, my friend Joyce introduced me to her family’s Christmas tradition. I fell in love with it—from decorating the tree, to the countless meals involved. They are Italians from Brooklyn, NY so the major thrust of the holiday centered around fish Christmas Eve and the hand-made ravioli on Christmas Day. When I began to split my time between New York and New England, I found a New York-based Italian family to not only take me, but allow me to become part of their rituals.

In a nod to the season, it’s time to recount some of my favorite Christmas things. The list continues to grow, but here is where I am so far:
1) Selecting, schlepping and decorating the tree: Each year, I now purchase a new ornament that has some special meaning for me. Now if I could only untangle the lights!
2) Shopping: The true meaning of Christmas has nothing to do with presents, but I can’t help but throw my self into the gift-buying rat race. I love how beautiful the stores look and I am often amused by the frenzy that surrounds the season.
3) The tree in Rockefeller Center: I walk by the tree as often as possible to look at its beauty and towering glory. If you get a chance, check out the new GE (what else?) lights.
4) Christmas Day and Marie’s lasagna: By the time we have finished the appetizers, I am usually stuffed, but not too much to indulge in the most magnificent lasagna I have ever tasted. The turkey/ham that follows is a sideshow to the main attraction.
5) “A Charlie Brown Christmas”: The best Christmas TV program or movie, which happened to premier on my exact birthday. I love Linus’ soliloquy about the true meaning of Christmas.
6) Christmas Music: Mary Ann in my office asked someone whether it was OK to play holiday music on our system at work, “because I know that Jill is Jewish”. The response was, “Jill LOVES it!” My favorite is probably Bing Crosby’s original recording of “White Christmas.”

Take it from this nice Jewish girl, you do not have to be religious to enjoy this special season. I hope that it finds you and your families gathered together and celebrating the gifts that have been bestowed on you. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

No comments: