Monday, June 16, 2008

Russert Gets an “A”

I had another article written for today, but decided to replace after the sudden death of journalist Tim Russert. I have been a long and faithful fan of “Meet the Press” and the news that someone who had become my Sunday morning buddy was gone, filled me with sadness. I have been thinking about what made Russert so different than those around him and I have come to the conclusion that it was a unique combination of A-List qualities: authenticity and accessibility.

When I started to appear on television more frequently, a producer gave me a very good piece of advice: watch how the pros do it and adapt what strikes you to your own style. Because I have been a long-time fan of Sunday morning talk shows, I started there. I remember watching “Meet the Press” with a pad of paper in front of me and writing down just a few words: feels like my friend, courteous, respectful, listens, cares, has fun, passionate, well-prepared.

There were a lot of other popular network and cable hosts who were tougher, even meaner, but their style did not resonate with me. In fact, after studying the craft, I incorporated the research not only into my television appearances, but to use it on the radio as well. I was determined to change the tone of my radio presence in a subtle way—a little less combative and negative when it came to talking about my competition and instead replacing it with more grace. It felt more comfortable and in fact, seemed to resonate more with the audience.

The A-traits that Russert possessed were important because they allowed him to build a bridge between his topics/guests and those of us watching. He was comfortable being who he was: a guy from a humble beginning in Buffalo who was indeed a powerful Washington DC insider. The ability to straddle those worlds made him easy to access for anyone watching, whether it was a life-long political animal or a regular viewer who wanted to understand the issues of the day. We trusted Russert because he was authentic—he did not need to be anyone else and his personal style invited a variety of people to participate in the discussion every Sunday. In a business that often seems to shut out the masses, Russert’s accessibility was our ticket in to the world of politics.
There are plenty of people who will speak to Russert’s personal life, but for one fan, I choose to honor the passing of great professional by highlighting what defined him to me. Like his work, Tim Russert’s personality traits earned him an “A”.

No comments: